If your package arrived damaged, open, or you are concerned that the item has been tampered with, please consult the following guide to confirm the authenticity of your new Trezor Model T.
This article contains an overview of the contents of the Trezor Model T package, alongside a timeline of all the important changes to the packaging, so that users can be confident that their item is genuine and has not been tampered with.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Unboxing your Trezor Model T
- Recovery seed card for the Trezor Model T
- Packaging timeline for Trezor Model T
- Additional security checks
Unboxing your Trezor Model T
The package contains the following items:
- Trezor Model T device with a holographic seal over the connector (the Trezor Model T packaging does not have a seal)
- USB cable (type C)
- Getting started card (package)
- Magnetic dock
- Recovery seed card (12 words) x2
- Sticker x4
Important: Double-check that the package is not damaged and make sure that the holographic seal on your Trezor Model T is not torn or missing. It should look like the image below. If you have any doubts, do not hesitate to contact our support.
Please note that your Trezor does not have any batteries in it. Therefore, you will not be able to see anything on the screen until you plug it in to your computer or another compatible device.
Trezor Model T packaging contents:
Recovery seed card for the Trezor Model T
A recovery seed card is a booklet that is used for writing down the recovery seed during the backup of a user's device. A pair of recovery seed cards is included in each package.
The Trezor Model T comes with a 12-word recovery seed card
In order to keep your funds safe, please remember these important security notes:
Never make a digital copy of your recovery seed card
Keep your recovery seed card safe from theft and risk of fire or water damage
Do not enter your recovery seed anywhere unless prompted by your Trezor device
Packaging timeline for Trezor Model T
- The Trezor logo was changed from an embossed one to a printed black one.
- The upper edge of the box was changed to contain the name of the product.
- The black box with the device was changed to contain green guiding highlights. Green half-circles were added to show where to open the box, or where to lift out the accessory box.
- The format of the recovery seed backup cards was changed from a card to a booklet.
- The material of the recovery seed backup cards was reverted from plastic to paper.
- The barcode was shortened
Additional security checks
In addition to checking the integrity of the packaging there are extra security measures in place to help verify the security of your Trezor device:
- All Trezor devices are distributed without firmware installed - you will need to install it during setup. This setup process will check if firmware is already installed on the device. If firmware is detected then the device should not be used.
- The bootloader verifies the firmware signature each time you connect your Trezor to a computer. Trezor Suite will only accept the device if the installed firmware is correctly signed by SatoshiLabs. If unofficial firmware has been installed, your device will flash a warning sign on its screen upon being connected to a computer.
- You will need to generate a recovery seed during Trezor setup. This seed is unique, ensuring only you have access to your private keys.
If your Trezor device shows a warning or an error message during the setup process, please try our chatbot Hal who will help resolve your issue.