This article walks you through the process of initializing your Trezor Model T hardware wallet for use with Trezor Suite.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- What you'll need
- What about the 'Recover wallet' option?
- What if I'm using an initialized Trezor Model T?
What you'll need
- Trezor Model T + USB connecting cable
- Trezor Suite for Desktop (or you can use Trezor Suite for web)
- Recovery Seed Cards (+ pen or pencil)
- About 5-10 minutes
- Trezor Suite will prompt you to connect your device. You’ll also have the option to opt in or out of anonymous data collection — this isn’t mandatory, but it helps us with bug fixes and performance improvements, so we recommend allowing it.
- When your device is connected, you’ll be asked to do a quick security check. Before clicking on Setup Trezor you should check that the packaging is intact and that the holographic seal is not tampered with.
If there’s any sign of tampering, do not use the device and make sure you contact Customer Support and we will do our best to arrange a replacement device.
- Once you’re sure everything is present and correct, click Setup Trezor
- Your Trezor is shipped without firmware, so the first step is to install the latest version by clicking the Install firmware button:
- Once firmware installation is successfully completed, click on Continue:
- In the next step you should choose 'Create new wallet' if this is your first time setting up your Trezor
You can only use the 'Recover wallet' option if you already have a Recovery Seed backup that can restore and enable access to existing accounts.
- After selecting ‘Create new wallet’ you can choose between 'Standard seed backup' or 'Shamir share backup'. Here we will detail the ‘Standard seed backup’ process, and the Shamir method is discussed in detail on the Trezor blog.
- After selecting ‘Standard seed backup’ you’ll be prompted to confirm the action on your device.
- Your Trezor Model T will display the message ‘Do you really want to create a new wallet?’ - you simply need to press the green check mark to proceed.
- The next step involves creating the backup, i.e., recording your recovery seed phrase on the recovery seed cards provided. To begin the process, simply click Create backup:
- You’ll then be prompted to confirm that you understand the backup instructions. Once these all have a green check mark, you can hit Begin backup:
- You must acknowledge and confirm you understand the instruction to ‘Never make a digital copy of your recovery seed and never upload it online!’ using the device touchscreen. To do so, simply press the 'I understand' button displayed on the device.
- Your Trezor will then generate a list of words that you must write down in the correct order on the recovery seed card provided.
This information is the most important part of securing your Trezor and your crypto.
Do not share this information with anyone, and keep it safely stored offline.
- Once you’ve recorded all of the words in the correct order (12 words is the default recovery seed length for the Trezor Model T) you will then confirm that 'I wrote down all 12 words in order' by using the 'Hold to confirm' button on the device touchscreen.
- You must then select the requested words from your recovery seed, as instructed by your device. After completing this process, you will see the message ‘You have finished verifying your recovery seed’ and can proceed by pressing the Continue button.
- With the wallet backup complete, you can proceed with setting up a PIN to protect your device from unauthorized physical access:
- In the ‘Wallet backup complete’ window, select Continue to PIN
- Your device will ask ‘Do you really want to enable PIN protection?’ - simply press the green check mark to confirm
- After selecting Set PIN you must enter your new PIN directly via the Trezor Model T touchscreen.
- Once complete, your device will display the message ‘You have successfully enabled PIN protection’ and Trezor Suite will show the confirmatory ‘PIN set’ window:
You should also keep a safe offline copy of your PIN, preferably separate from your recovery seed
- Press Continue and you will be directed to the ‘Activate Coins’ window, where you’re free to choose which cryptocurrencies are shown in Trezor Suite. This setting can be changed at any time, along with the other (advanced) settings.
- Once you’re happy with your selection of active coins, simply click Complete setup and you’re all done!
- Click on 'Access Suite' to get started
- The first thing you’ll be asked to do is ‘Select wallet type’. At this stage, you probably just want to get up to speed with the features of Trezor Suite, so we recommend selecting the ‘Standard wallet’ option, which is not passphrase protected.
To enhance the privacy and security of your crypto assets, we recommend using the passphrase feature, which allows you to create unique hidden wallets and control access to them, without requiring a second hardware wallet or Recovery Seed. This means your funds are safe, even if your Recovery Seed is compromised. You can read more about the passphrase feature on the Trezor blog.
After choosing the wallet type, you’re in Trezor Suite and your wallet is ready to use:
What about the 'Recover wallet' option?
Do not enter your recovery seeds anywhere unless the physical Trezor device instructs you to do so, and you confirm your choice on your Trezor. Only trust the instructions on your Trezor device.
- If you have a new and/or empty Trezor Model T, you can restore an existing wallet using your recovery seed.
- If you’re locked out of your Trezor because you’ve forgotten your PIN, or you wish to load a different seed onto your device, your first need to wipe the device and then proceed with the recovery process (see below)
- During the second stage of setting up your Trezor Model T (the first stage is installing the firmware), choose the 'Recover wallet' option:
- After selecting ‘Recover wallet’ you will see the ‘Recover wallet from seed’ window, which informs you that the entire process is done using the device touchscreen:
- Click Start recovery and follow the device’s on-screen instructions:
- Confirm ‘Do you really want to recover a wallet?’ using the device touchscreen
- Select the number of words in your recovery seed phrase using the device touchscreen (12 is the default number of words for the Trezor Model T recovery seed phrase)
- Then enter the recovery seed using the touchscreen
- Once the process is complete, simply click on Continue in the ‘Recovery completed’ window:
- After completing the remaining steps of the setup, you’ll be able to access the crypto funds held in the wallet associated with this particular Recovery Seed phrase.
What if I'm using an initialized Trezor Model T?
As mentioned earlier, if you’re locked out of your device because you’ve forgotten your PIN, or you wish to load a different recovery seed onto your device, you’ll need to wipe the device first. This introduces some small but important changes to the look of the initialization processes described above.
- If you’ve forgotten your PIN then you’ll need to wipe the device in Bootloader mode, i.e., perform a 'factory reset'. In this case, the firmware is removed along with all other private information including the PIN and recovery seed. As this restores the device to it’s original factory condition, the initialization process is the same as above.
- If you know your PIN and wipe the device in Trezor Suite, you’ll still remove all of your private data (including PIN and recovery seed) but the firmware is not removed. In this case, the initialization process looks a little different.
- Once you’ve connected your device, the first ‘Security check’ window now looks like this:
- The message displayed now tells you that firmware is already installed on the device you’ve just connected.
If you've never used the device, do not proceed with the setup! Instead, unplug the device and contact Customer Support and we will do our best to arrange a replacement device.
- If you’ve already used the device and are sure that it’s safe to proceed, click Setup Trezor and you will then see the ‘Firmware ready’ confirmation dialogue:
- Now click on Continue and you will see the same options as above, i.e., ‘Create new wallet’ and ‘Recover wallet’:
- From here, the processes are the same as those described above.