If your package arrived damaged, open, or you are concerned that the item has been tampered with, please consult the following guide to confirm the authenticity of your new Trezor Model One.
This article contains an overview of the contents of the Trezor Model One package, alongside a timeline of all the important changes to the packaging, so that users can be confident that their item is genuine and has not been tampered with.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Unboxing your Trezor Model One
- Recovery seed card for the Trezor Model One
- Packaging timeline for Trezor Model One
- Additional security checks
Unboxing your Trezor Model One
The Trezor Model One packaging is protected by two silver seals on both sides and is wrapped in a thin plastic foil. The package is carefully sealed with a strong glue, which makes it impossible to open the package without tearing it apart. It contains the following items:
- Trezor Model One device
- USB cable (type B)
- Getting started card (package)
- Recovery seed card (24 words) x2
- Sticker x4
Important: Double-check that the package is not damaged and make sure that the holographic seals are not torn or missing. If you have any doubts, do not hesitate to contact our Support Team.
Please note that your Trezor does not have any batteries in it. Therefore, you will not be able to see anything on the screen until you plug it in to your computer or another compatible device.
Trezor Model One packaging contents:
Recovery seed card for the Trezor Model One
A recovery seed card is a booklet that is used for writing down the recovery seed during the backup of a user's device. A pair of recovery seed cards is included in each package.
The Trezor Model One comes with a 24-word recovery seed card
In order to keep your funds safe, please remember these important security notes:
Never make a digital copy of your recovery seed card
Keep your recovery seed card safe from theft and risk of fire or water damage
Do not enter your recovery seed anywhere unless prompted by your Trezor device
Packaging timeline for Trezor Model One
- The Trezor logo was changed from “TREZOR The Bitcoin Safe” to “TREZOR”.
- “The Hardware Bitcoin Wallet” text was changed to “The original hardware wallet.”
- The package grew in size to 100 x 100 x 13 mm.
- Text on the package was made more scarce.
- A sticker with a barcode and a UPC code was added at the back of the package.
- The landing website in the instructions has been changed to trezor.io/start, instead of mytrezor.com.
- All of the content is inside one box
- Refreshed design, font and form of the user manual and recovery seed backup cards.
- It now says "By SatoshiLabs" in the lower left corner of the box.
- Trezor illustration has been changed.
- The logo and the text are more centered.
- On the back, the bottom text formatting has changed.
- Trezor logo is now also on the back of the box with the barcode placed below it.
The holographic seals on the Trezor Model One package have evolved over time as well. However, as resellers might stock packages with older versions of the seals, customers might come across different looking seals (see the picture below). The important thing is that the seal must be intact when delivered. If not, contact our Support Team immediately.
Additional security checks
In addition to checking the integrity of the packaging there are extra security measures in place to help verify the security of your Trezor device:
- All Trezor devices are distributed without firmware installed - you will need to install it during setup. This setup process will check if firmware is already installed on the device. If firmware is detected then the device should not be used.
- The bootloader verifies the firmware signature each time you connect your Trezor to a computer. Trezor Suite will only accept the device if the installed firmware is correctly signed by SatoshiLabs. If unofficial firmware has been installed, your device will flash a warning sign on its screen upon being connected to a computer.
- You will need to generate a recovery seed during Trezor setup. This seed is unique, ensuring only you have access to your private keys.
If your Trezor device shows a warning or an error message during the setup process, please try our chatbot Hal who will help resolve your issue.